So what is Maja Blanca? you may ask. It is a pudding made of coconut milk. The ones I made here have condensed milk in it, then You add sweet corn kernels to that goodness and top it off with generous amount of toasted coconut.
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup condensed milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 and ¼ cup or 1 can sweet style creamed corn kernels
- 1 and ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup water, or more or less just enough to dissolve the cornstarch
- Toasted Coconut Toppings:
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Over medium heat, bring the coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add in the condensed milk, sugar, vanilla extract and the sweet corn. Let this boil while you continuously stir it for 8 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in water. Stir it continuously until all powders are dissolved. Pour the cornstarch solution slowly in a thin streaming line into the coconut milk mixture . Stir continuously until the mixture in the pan becomes thick evenly.
- Turn off heat and transfer the maja into prepared containers or bowls. Smooth top with a spatula.
- To make the toasted coconut, spread the shredded coconut into a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Place this in preheated oven. Toast for about 4 minutes and toss the coconut with a spatula and toast for 1-2 minutes more. Coconut browns very fast so you have to watch it closely and turn the oven off as soon as you see that most of the coconut has turned brown. Remove the coconut from the oven and sprinkle over the maja.
- You can also unmould the maja by turning the container over into a serving dish. Sprinkle the top with toasted coconut.
This post has been featured on Filipino Foods Recipes.