This is one of the best things in winter, at least for me. A slice of this pound cake with a glass of warm milk or hot chocolate is all I need, then it is not so cold anymore.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 7 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. The oven does not need to be preheated. Grease a 10 inch tube pan and lightly dust it with flour. Tap excess flour and set aside.
2. Sift together salt and cake flour three times and set aside.
3. Using a hand held or stand mixer, beat together sugar and butter until fluffy using medium to high speed for about 6- 8 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Occasionally scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
3. Add in the vanilla extract.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in half of the flour mixture and all of the cream. Mix until incorporated then add the remaining flour mixture. Beat the batter at high speed until smooth . This should take about 5 minutes.
5. Pour batter into the prepared tube pan and set it over a baking sheet. Place inside the oven and set to 350F. Bake for 60-75 minutes. A knife or skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean with a few crumbs. The cake should turn out golden brown.
6. Take the cake out of the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 20-30 minutes. Once slightly cooled, loosen sides with a knife and turn it over on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Keep cake in a tightly covered container for five days in room temperature.