These soft and moist banana bread cupcakes topped with a crunchy and buttery streusel are mini versions of your classic favorite.
I am snuggled in bed, with my feet and legs hiding under a fleece blanket as I type this. It is cold once again and like every year, I feel like November is the month where I finally accept that the cold weather is finally settling in.
Then I spend my days making cozy stuff like bread, hot chocolate and banana bread cupcakes.
You guys, these banana bread cupcakes! They are moist and tender and thanks to the buttery streusel, they have wonderful textures on top.
Inside, you bite into melty chocolate chips, along with the most delicate crumbs. This is one of those baked goods that makes me want to cry at first bite. Seriously good!
How to Make Banana Bread Cupcakes?
- Cream softened butter and brown sugar using a paddle attachment of an electric mixer. Beat in the egg, followed by the mashed bananas and the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture ( flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) to the bowl, alternately with the buttermilk. Mix just until combined. Fold in some chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan that is lined with paper cups, 2/3 full. Sprinkle the streusel topping on top. Bake the banana bread cupcakes at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center of the cakes come out clean.
The Streusel Topping
The streusel topping is made of whole wheat flour, brown sugar, walnuts, and butter. Combine everything in a medium bowl and simply rub in the butter with your fingers into the rest of the ingredients (or cut the butter using a pastry blender).
This streusel topping is everything. The nuts, the sweetness and the buttery taste- it makes the banana bread extra special.
If you desire, you can also add half a teaspoon of cinnamon into the streusel mixture.
Look at those! The best way to cozy up this cold season. Oh, and add the mug of hot chocolate or matcha latte! Best of days 🙂
Banana Bread Cupcakes with Streusel Toppings
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas 2 large bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Streusel Toppings
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter or 28 grams, cut into little cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with paper cups. In a bowl, beat together softened butter and brown sugar until it is creamy and fluffy. Beat in the egg until incorporated. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla and beat to combine it with the rest of the ingredients.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this flour mixture to the mixing bowl, alternately with the buttermilk, making three additions of the flour mixture and two additions of the buttermilk. Beat the mixture just until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin pan until they are 2/3 full. Sprinkle the streusel on top of each cupcake batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center of a cupcake comes out clean with some bits of moist crumbs.
- Combine all streusel ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter ( or rub, if you are using your hands) into the rest of the ingredients until the mixture is powdery and coarse.