These Tortang Dulong have crispy edges and tender fish meat inside. It is an easy weeknight meal that is both delicious and fast to make.
As you all know, I am all about easy and simple cooking and today’s recipe is another proof. This tortang dulong recipe is no rocket science. It is one bowl, all in and fry kind of thing. Tortang dulong or torta , for that matter, is a common dish in a Filipino household. Torta consists of a main ingredient usually ground meat, seafoods or vegetables. The key ingredient is egg and usually, it has flour and it is made to resemble a patty or pancake.
This tortang dulong recipe is from my friend back in the Philippines. She was a very cheerful person with lots of recipes up her sleeves. We shared a dorm back then and it is such a delight to have someone who cooks as good as her in the same house with me.
I still remember the day she made this, we were gathered around her in the table as she mixed away like she was in her own cooking show. And because I was not anything like a cook, especially back then, I was really amazed.
Dulong are small white fish also known as noodlefish (or silverfish), and they literally look like noodles with block dots for their eyes. Their shape and size make then perfect ingredients for patties and fritters.
Because they are thin and small, they do not take long to cook at all. It is important to watch the dulong patties as you cook them. They can burn easily if you walk away.
Pointers for Making Tortang Dulong:
- The frozen silverfish can be found in Asian groceries. When you thaw it, It is always good to give them a nice squeezing over a strainer to drain the excess water after thawing.
- Heat the oil to 350 F and fry the patties by batch. Do not overcrowd the patties or they will be soggy.
- Use a spoon to scoop the mixture into the pan. This will form small patties for crisper edges.
Serve this hot with vinegar dipping sauce and a little bit of chili sauce, and trust me you will want to have heaping plates of rice with it, which is a good thing! ( or not).
Check out these other savory dishes from the blog:
- 450 grams fresh or frozen dulong or silverfish also called noodle fish
- 1 medium onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- In a large bowl, Add the garlic, onion, eggs, flour, and dulong. Mix well by hand or by using two forks.
- Add salt and pepper. To adjust the taste accordingly, fry a small amount of the mixture in the frying pan. Add salt and/or pepper according to your preference.
- Use a spoon to scoop from the mixture and slowly drop them into the heated oil in the pan. Cook until golden.
- Drain cooked patties in towel lined plate and serve immediately.