Today, I embrace the country where I come from. Being a Filipino does not really go away in my heart, and though I live worlds apart from the Philippines, the foods we eat, the things we do and the language we speak are all native to my home country.
This dish has a sweet note from the sugar with hints of heat and spice from the chili peppers. I love how the flavors are balance of sweet, salty and spicy. That makes the sauce of this dish so luxurious and tasty. I can smother it all over my rice and eat away.
Pointers for Cooking Sweet and Spicy Squid
- You can use more or fewer chili peppers as you prefer.
- If using frozen squid, thaw the squid and drain it in a colander. Squid can produce excess water upon cooking so this step gets rid of extra liquid later in cooking.
- Do not be tempted overcook the squid or it becomes tough and chewier.
Sweet And Spicy Squid
- 1 1/2 lb squid frozen and thawed, backbone removed
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pieces chilli siling labuyo, minced ( more or less as you prefer)
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- Drain squid in a colander for about 15 -20 minutes.(This is important because squid produces lots of water during cooking. Draining it beforehand will minimize water production later) Slice each squid into three to four pieces to produce squid rings.
- Heat oil in cooking pan or wok then add in the garlic and pepper. Saute for about two minutes while constantly tossing.
- Add in the sugar and the soy sauce and stir mixture for 2 minutes. Add in squid and let cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the squid is tender. Stir occasionally. At this stage, squid will produce more water.
- Once the squid is tender, add in ketchup and stir until the ketchup is evenly distributed. Turn off heat and serve hot.
- You can use more or less chili peppers as to your preference. You can also omit it.
- Do not over cook the squid as it will toughen.
Joseph Guzman says
I am Puerto Rican and made this for my Filipina wife. She was so impressed and loved it. This recipe was so easy to follow and the results were amazing . Thanks for helping me score cool points with my wife .
Hi Joseph. I am so happy your wife loved it. Thanks.
hi i have sent you an email about an exciting tv opportunity. Hoping to hear a response from you thanks Fatima. i sent it to your gmail account.