Busy week? My Easy Beef Burrito is a go-to for quick weekday meals. Simple ingredients, customizable and easily prepared, you will love having this on your menu rotation.
Do you run out of dinner ideas? I do, or oftentimes when I am too tired, I don’t feel like cooking at all. This Easy Beef Burrito is one of my go-to solutions for those days when I just don’t know what to make.
Just stock up on ground beef, make cumin and chili powder handy (or even just the store-bought burrito seasoning if you like!), and you can make this anytime. I promise you, the rest are staple ingredients!
Easy Beef Burrito with a Simple Twist.
I call this anytime beef burritos because I made a simple switch of ingredients. You do not have to look around if you have a can of tomato sauce or open a can of tomato paste just to get a tiny tablespoon out of it. My solution? Ketchup.
You may think that is weird. But I promise you, it works!
Let’s Make It
Brown the Beef
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add the beef and cook until browned, tossing regularly.
Add Seasonings and Spices
- Add the salt and pepper. Add the cumin and chili powder. Stir everything to distribute.
- Continue to cook the beef until tender, about 8-10 minutes more. Then, add ketchup.
- Cook and stir for a few minutes more, until the beef is has rendered a bit of a sauce.
Assemble the Beef Burritos
- At this point, you can add any fillings to your liking. Start with 2-3 tablespoons of the beef along the center of a tortilla. Add shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, rice or beans.
- Really, it is up to you. The once in my recipe card are just recommendations. For my kids, they like beef and cheese. For a breakfast style burrito, we like to add scrambled eggs.
- Then drizzle with any sauce you like. This is obviously not a traditional burrito type, as we like to put mayo and sriracha to our mix 🙂 Just use whatever works for you and your family.
Pointers and Tips
- To roll the burrito, fold the left and right edges of the tortilla about an inch towards the center, then starting from the edge closest to you, roll the tortilla forward making a tight log.
- Store the leftover beef in a food container in the fridge for up to three days. You can store assembled burrito in the fridge as well. Just wrap them in plastic film, or parchment paper. Reheat in the microwave to enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make this using ground turkey, ground pork or ground chicken.
To make this more authentic, add variety to the filling like beans, rice, salsa and corn. You can also use Spanish rice in the filling.
You can cook the beef and store in a tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you are ready to assemble the burritos, chop your veggies and prepare the rest of your fillings. You can also refrigerate the other components separately ( chopped veggies, rice and shredded cheese).
More Recipes For You
- Easy Cheeseburger Sliders
- Baked Cheeseburger Tacos
- Baked Turkey Taquitos with Simple Sour Cream Sauce
- Honey Chipotle Chicken Thighs