Moist and chocolatey banana cake that is generously slathered with coffee cream cheese frosting, this Chocolate Banana Sheet Cake is so easy, so delicious and will have you wanting more!
You are looking at my breakfast for days, my friends. Yes, this Chocolate Banana Sheet cake is so good that I find it hard to resist when it’s beautifully sitting in a cake dome, the frosting glistening and the chocolate cake color is so deep. So, cake for breakfast it is.
How can I resist that? Can you? There is something so addictive about this cake. It could be the ultra moist, chocolatey banana cake base, or that extra creamy, and generous coffee cream cheese icing. Or the combination of both. I just can’t seem to stop at one slice. Honestly.
Chocolate Banana Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Can we talk about how I love sheet cakes? It is a surprise to me how I don’t have much of them on the blog when in fact, I do so love them. You don’t need fancy decorations. The shape is perfect for serving. They are perfect for get-togethers because, you know, just serve them up in neat squares and the guests find it very easy to consume than a fancy big chunk of a 2 layer cake. And you can even frost it in the pan and serve it right out of it!
This Chocolate Banana Sheet Cake is very easy to make. Just mix the dry ingredients together, mix the liquids together, then combine the two. Hot water is added as a last step to ensure that everything gets dispersed and incorporated. The cake comes out so moist!
Highlights of this Super Delicious Cake
- Light banana flavor.
- A hint of cinnamon.
- Uses buttermilk for ultra moisture.
- Deep chocolate flavor.
- A hint of coffee in the cream cheese frosting.
Let’s Make Chocolate Banana Sheet Cake!
Preheat your oven to 350. You are going to need a 9 x 13 cake pan that is lined with parchment paper. In a bowl. whsk together all the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix together all the liquids (except the hot water). So that includes the buttermilk, canola oil, 2 eggs, vanilla extract and the mashed banana. Make sure the eggs and bananas are well dispersed.
Now pour the liquid into the bowl with all the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, mix everything together gently and in a few strokes until the powders are moistened. Then pour the hot water into the bowl and mix everything until the ingredients are just combined. You do not need to over mix. Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Level it out and bake for 350 at 25-30 minutes.
As the cake bakes, you can make the icing. In a mixing bowl, beat together softened butter and cream cheese until combined and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, the milk and the cooled coffee mixture made of 1 tsp instant coffee and 2 tsp hot water. Beat everything until smooth.
When the cake is done, allow it cool for a bit in the pan, then take it out using the parchment to cool it completely. If you are serving the cake right out of the pan, just allow it cool there completely. Spread the frosting generously into the top (and sides, if you prefer) of the cake.
I prefer to slice the frosted cake into squares right away and arrange them on a platter.
Tips and Pointers
- If you prefer less frosting, you can half the frosting recipe. But would you? Come on! The cake itself is not really sweet, so the icing balances that out.
- Personally, I do not refrigerate this cake. Technically, you should store it in the fridge. Just allow it to come to room temperature before serving. I just prefer storing mine in my cake dome at the counter, within reason of course. This cake is finished within 3 days tops. I would not keep it out for more than that period.
- For that deep color, I used dark cocoa powder. If you don’t have it, regular one is fine.
More Chocolate Goodness
- Best Ever Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Cake Roll with Chocolate Whipped Cream Icing
- Chocolate Roll Cake
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 large ripe bananas (1 ¼ cup mashed)
- 1/2 cup just boiled hot water
Coffee Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 2 tsp hot water
- 250 grams cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup softened butter (113 grams)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line a 9 x 13 cake pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl. whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together all the liquids: (except the hot water): buttermilk, canola oil, 2 eggs, vanilla extract, and the mashed banana, making sure that the eggs and bananas are well dispersed.
- Pour the liquid into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, mix everything together gently and in a few strokes until the powders are moistened. Pour the boiling water into the bowl and mix everything until the ingredients are just combined. You do not need to over mix. Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Level it out and bake for 350 at 25-30 minutes. The cake center is soft but springs back lightly to touch.
- Make the icing. Dissolve 1 tsp of instant coffee in 2 tsp hot water. Let this cool. In a mixing bowl, beat together softened butter and cream cheese until combined and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, the milk and the cooled coffee mixture. Beat everything until smooth.
- Allow the cake to cool for a bit in the pan, then take it out using the parchment to cool it completely. If you are serving the cake right out of the pan, just allow it cool there completely. Spread the frosting generously into the top (and sides, if you prefer) of the cake.
You can also use any regular cocoa powder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 416mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g