One pan, baked and complete with a sweet and tangy sauce, you gotta love this Baked Chicken meatballs for an easy weekday meal!
Planning meals can be quite a challenge for me. While I enjoy re-stocking, dreaming up the week’s menu and grocery shopping (I do online groceries. I don’t think I will ever be able to do a major grocery shopping in an actual store with my little, super active 1-year-old), coming up with meals that my kids will actually eat can be tough.
So basically, each time I try something new, it may be always a hit for my husband, but not for my kids. Those girls have a palate that appreciates non-complex foods. Hello, chicken nuggets, scrambled eggs and grilled cheese 🙂 But obviously, I cannot feed my husband that. So I try to find a balance in the food that I make. Ones that are kid-friendly but also would pass for an adult’s palate. One example is this Baked Chicken meatballs.
Baked Chicken Meatballs
- Simple, easy prep, and all baked in one pan.
- Cooks in a sweet and savory sauce that both kids and adults will love.
- Perfect to pair with rice, mashed potatoes, or in sandwiches and subs. Make a batch and you will have lunch for days!
The Easy Process
Combine all the meatballs ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands or a big wooden spoon to incorporate everything.
Form 1 to 1 ½ inches balls and arrange them on a large rimmed baking dish that has been lightly greased.
Then we bake them. First at 425 for 15 minutes to set and brown them, then take it out from the oven and pour the easy, peasy sauce all over the meatballs.
Return the baking dish to the oven and lower the heat to 400 F.
Bake them for 15-20 minutes more, or until the sauce is nice and bubbly. And done! garnish the meatballs with chopped scallion if you like.
Serve it with rice or over mashed potatoes! You can also serve them over garlic pasta, and on sandwiches. Win, win, win!
More Easy Meals
- Chicken Rice and Veggies Casserole
- Salted Fish Chicken Fried Rice
- Soy Mustard Chicken
- Mushroom Jalapeno Naan Pizza
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 tbsp honey
- chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Lightly grease a large rimmed baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, milk, egg, garlic, onions, salt, pepper, olive oil and grated parmesan.
- Use a large spoon or your hands to combine everything. Form 1 to 1½ inch balls using the mixture. You will be able to make 26-30 meatballs. Arrange them in one layer on the baking dish.
- Bake the chicken meatballs for 15 minutes at 425 F. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small bowl, combine ketchup, honey, bbq sauce and minced onions.
- Once the time is done, carefully take out the meatballs from the oven. Pour the sauce all over the meatballs, and gently toss them around to coat all the meatballs with the sauce. Return the meatballs to the oven and lower the heat to 400 F.
- Bake for 15-20 more minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the meatballs are cooked through. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
If you want a bit of heat, add a splash or two of hot sauce or sriracha.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 569Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 1626mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 35g