Need an easy celebration cake? This Red Velvet Sheet Cake is made of a super moist and soft chocolate-flavored cake frosted with a luscious cream cheese icing. A simple version of the classic favorite.
I am on sheet cakes craze lately. There is something about the ease of preparation and the need for zero cake decorating skills involved in making sheet cakes. I love how homey, laidback and simple the sheet cake vibe is.
So now, after the much-loved Chocolate Banana Sheet Cake, we have this easy Red Velvet Sheet Cake. Mild chocolate flavor, soft and moist cake and a decadent finishing of cream cheese icing-such a delicious treat!
Red Velvet Sheet Cake
- Red Velvet Sheet Cake is a simple cake to make. There is no creaming. The cake itself does not require the use of a mixer.
- As for the icing, it is basic cream cheese, butter and sugar thing, so no elaborate process is involved.
- And one more thing I love about this cake (or sheet cakes in general), is that it is very easy to decorate. You can either frost the cake in the pan, and serve it out of there, or transfer the cake to a rectangular platter and decorate it.
We begin by whisking all the dry ingredients together: flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Then, in another bowl, we combine the liquids: the buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir this using a wire whisk until the eggs are dispersed and everything is incorporated. Add a tablespoon of gel red food color and stir it in until the color is evenly distributed.
Next, we combine the 2 mixtures. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, mix everything together until the powders are moistened. Then add in the freshly boiled water. Continue to stir until everything is combined. But do not overmix. It is okay for a few clumps to be in there.
Pour and scrape the batter into a 9 x 13 parchment-lined baking pan. Bake this at 350 F for 35 minutes. Allow the cake to cool before frosting it.
And behold- a cake so soft and bouncy with the lightest chocolate flavor. A decadent creamy frosting and a pretty red color! Personally, I cannot resist eating two slices in one sitting. This cake is truly special!
Red Velvet Sheet Cake is simply elegant. It is sophisticated for a celebration, but you can make it anytime as a fancy daily dessert. It also keeps well and develops more flavor as it is stored. We enjoy this cake for almost a week and it still tastes amazing.
So the next time you are in need of a cake, go the easy route and make life easier, make this Red Velvet Sheet Cake.
For the Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp gel red food color
- 3/4 cup just boiled water
Cream Cheese Icing
- 250 grams ( 1 block) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9x 13 inch pan with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat the mixture until the eggs are dispersed and everything is incorporated. Add the red food color and stir well until the color is evenly distributed.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Using a rubber spatula, gently combine the ingredients in a few strokes until the powders are moistened. Pour the freshly boiled water and continue stirring the mixture, just until everything is combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes, or until the cake is set and springs back to the touch of a finger.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan or take it out and allow to cool completely if you are serving it on a platter. Once cool, frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting. If desired, you can use a bit of the cake crumbles to garnish the cake on top as I did.
The Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until fluffy and creamy. Add the icing sugar, vanilla, and cream, Beat the mixture, starting slow then speeding up until everything is combined. You can add a teaspoon or two of cream if you want to thin down the consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2090Total Fat: 160gSaturated Fat: 87gTrans Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 55gCholesterol: 474mgSodium: 3227mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 103g