Coffee Cake Banana Bread is moist and delicate with a perfect touch of coffee to add flavor, and finished with a creamy cream cheese coffee icing to add richness.
Every time I share a recipe with coffee cake in the title, more than a few people will ask me “where is the coffee?” Such is the case when I shared Medjool Date Coffee Cake and Yeast Pecan Coffee Cake.
And this leads me to wonder, why on earth will a cake be called as such when it doesn’t even have coffee in it? Right? Why coffee cake? It turns out that ( thanks Wikipedia!) they are called as such because in European countries these sweet little treats are perfect while drinking coffee.
And I couldn’t argue with that. Cake? With coffee? Yes and yes. But what we have here today- Coffee Cake Banana Bread- is not just coffee in its name. It really does have coffee in it!
A Banana Cake with Coffee
- Technically, indeed, this a banana cake with coffee in it. However, the two flavors- coffee and banana- do not overpower each other in this recipe. It is a perfect balance, if you ask me.
- The soft and moist banana bread is ever so lightly infused with coffee, giving it a deep and rich flavor that is quite unique.
- The banana bread is filled with pecans all over giving it the occasional texture in every bite.
- A reinforcement of the coffee flavor comes back in the frosting. It is made of cream cheese and maple syrup for that richness this bread needs. The maple syrup adds a deeper, bittersweet note.
Let’s Make it!
Mix the Dry Ingredients and prepare the Prepare the Coffee Mixture.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, stir together hot water and instant coffee until the granules are dissolved. Set this aside to cool.
Mix all the Wet Ingredients.
In a medium bowl, stir together mashed bananas, sour cream, milk and the cooled coffee mixture.
Cream the Butter and Sugar and Add the Egg.
Cream the butter and sugar for 5 minutes, or until fluffy. Beat in the egg just until incorporated.
Alternately Add the Dry Ingredients and the Liquids.
Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and beat just until moistened. Next, add half of the liquid mixture and beat until incorporated.
Add another 1/3 of the flour, followed by the remaining milk, then beat to incorporate. Beat in the remaining flour just until incorporated.
Fold in the Pecans and Bake!
Fold in the chopped pecans. Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool and Ice the Cake
Let the cake cool slightly. Transfer the cake with the parchment on a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer the cake to cake plate or a serving dish. Pour and spread the freshly prepared coffee cream cheese maple icing.
More Delicious and Easy Baking
- Chocolate Chip and Pecan Quick Bread
- Pineapple Loaf Cake
- Ube Loaf Bread
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf Bread