Honey Walnut Cake features moist and delicate crumbs, a delightful texture from the nuts and amazing flavour from the honey and spices. This is one of the reliable baking recipes from Crisco® that yields no-fail-results and superior quality in baked goods.
This post is sponsored by Crisco® All -Vegetable Shortening, but all my opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting products that resonates with the value and vision of Woman Scribbles.
The aroma of baked goods, that first warm slice of a cake, and the over-all warm and cozy atmosphere in the house- these are the things I love about the baking season.
Today, I am excited to share with you this delicious cake recipe from Crisco®, and just how I am loving the All-Vegetable Shortening for making cakes and pastries. It is so ideal for baking- my pies and cakes always turn out wonderful.
Honey Walnut Cake
- This will delight you with its moist crumbs. Delicate and light, every bite is made even more special with the walnuts, and subtle flavour of spices.
- Right from the creaming, Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening is amazingly smooth. It creams nicely out of the package, making baking easy and time efficient.
- This cake comes together easily, and no matter how many times I have made it, the results are always divine! I can’t wait for you to try it.
Pointers and Tips
- Crisco shortening behaves the same way as butter in baking. So in this recipe, we incorporate it by the creaming method. It is also used the same way as butter when making pie crusts, pastries and frostings.
- Since Crisco is plant-based and contains no animal-products, it is suitable for making vegan baked goods in place of butter.
- Gluten-free and contains half the fat of butter, Crisco is a reliable ingredient for baking. From pies, cakes, muffins to frostings-you can make many delicious things with it.
- The broiled topping mixture is such a delicious finishing touch to the cake and should not be skipped. As the cake bakes, prepare the topping.
- Make sure that you watch the cake closely as it broils to prevent over-browning/ darkening the top.
The Main Ingredients
- Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening. A reliable baking ingredient used in this recipe. This can replace butter on a 1:1 ratio.
- Honey. Along with a bit of sugar, honey sweetens this cake. Use maple syrup for a vegan version (replace the egg with an egg replacer, too).
- Walnuts. This adds a delightful texture and flavour profile to the cake.
- All-Purpose Flour. Flour makes up the dry ingredients along with the spices, salt and baking soda.
- Baking Soda. This is main the leavener in this recipe.
- The Spices. A combination of ground cinnamon and ground cloves flavour the cake perfectly.
- Egg. This can easily be replaced with an egg replacer for a plant-based version of the recipe (replace honey with maple syrup).
- See the recipe card below for the rest of the ingredients.
Let’s Make Honey Walnut Cake
- Cream together the Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the sugar gradually.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients (except walnuts) and add to the creamed mixture. Beat to incorporate.
- Beat in the honey and walnuts.
- Stir hot water into the batter.
- Pour and scrape the cake batter into a parchment lined baking dish.
- Bake the cake at 325 F for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven. Drop and spread the topping mixture over the top. Broil the cake in the oven briefly just until the top is bubbly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
Serving and Storage
- Serve this cake warm or cold. Enjoy on its own or top with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream!
- Store cake leftovers in a container with lid at room temperature for up to 3 days. Refrigerate for longer storage.
More Delicious Cakes
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Sheet Cake
- Carrot Loaf Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- Red Velvet Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coffee Cake Banana Bread
Honey Walnut Cake
- ¾ cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¾ cup liquid honey
- 1 cup walnuts chopped medium and fine
- 1 cup hot water
For the Topping
- 3 tbsp melted butter or margarine
- ¾ cup walnuts chopped medium
- ⅓ cup liquid honey
- Preheat the oven to 325 ℉. Grease a 12 x 8 x 1¾ inch baking dish, then line it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the Crisco® and vanilla extract until fluffy. Beat in the sugar gradually until incorporated. Beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and the spices. Add this to the mixing bowl. Beat, starting on low speed, then speeding up until incorporated. The batter will be thick at this point.
- Add honey and walnuts. Beat just until distributed with the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the hot water. Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 ℉ for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the enter of the cakes comes out clean. While the cake is baking make the topping. Beat together butter, honey and walnuts.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven, and drop dollops of the topping all over the top. Use a spoon or spatula to spread. Broil the cake briefly, just until the top is bubbly. Watch the cake closely to avoid scorching.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly. Serve.