Indulge in this Chocolate Cake Loaf with cream cheese filling, with every slice filled with decadent cream cheese batter and all topped with luscious chocolate glaze.
You know what is one thing that is hard to brush off easily? Chocolate craving. This one cannot be easily denied, and while I almost succumb to buying a bag of chocolate chip cookies (which are wonderful too), I thought I’d wait until I had the time to bake a chocolate cake.
So one day, while my baby son is in one of his short naps, I hurriedly measured, whipped, and baked this Chocolate Loaf Cake with Cream Cheese Filling. And man, I am so glad I did! The cake is delicious. Patience is such a wonderful thing.
Chocolate Cake Loaf with Cream Cheese Filling
This loaf cake features moist, chocolatey crumbs with a decadent cream cheese batter in the center. The cream cheese batter is made of softened cream cheese, egg, vanilla and sugar. Inspired by this Chocolate Cream Cheese bundt cake, this recipe is from this chocolate chip loaf bread with the addition of the filling and a rich chocolate glaze.
How to Make Chocolate Loaf Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling?
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set this mixture aside.
Cream the butter and sugar on a stand mixer bowl until the mixture is light, creamy and fluffy. You can scrape the sides here with a spatula from time to time as needed.
Once fluffy, add the eggs one at a time to the creamed mixture. Mix the eggs well after each addition.
Next, you are going to alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk. The order will be like this:
- With the machine running at low speed. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, beat to incorporate.
- Add 1/2 of the buttermilk and increasing the mixer speed, mix it well. Add another third of the flour mixture. Beat well.
- Add the remaining half of the buttermilk, and finally, beat in the remaining flour mixture. The resulting chocolate batter should be lump-free and smooth, but don’t beat it more than you have to.
Pour half of the chocolate batter on a greased 9×5 loaf pan. Spoon the cream cheese batter over the top, being careful to keep it contained at the center. Top the cream cheese with the remaining batter, covering much of the white as you can.
Bake the loaf cake at 350 F for 50-55 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick tester comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let the cake cool slightly, then pour the chocolate glaze on top.
Pointers and Tips
- The eggs, butter and buttermilk should be at room temperature for easy mixing.
- No buttermilk? Here is a substitute: measure out 1 cup of regular milk and add 2 tbsp of vinegar. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before using it in the recipe.
- At any time during mixing, use a spatula to scrape any ingredients that get stuck into the sides of the bowl.
- The baked, finished cake will naturally bulge out and slightly crack open.
More Chocolate Goodness
- Chocolate Chip Loaf Bread with Honey Butter
- Chocolate Marble Cake
- Chocolate Ombre Pound Cake
- Chocolate Cake Roll With Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Nutella Filled Chocolate Cookies