These Asparagus and Ham Puff Pastry Pockets are a tasty appetizer or meal that is so easy to pull together. Satisfying, tasty, filling, these easy to assemble pockets are a personal favorite.
One whole day for a food blogger goes by fast. This morning I was set to publish this post so I can have it ready for you before the afternoon.
But lo and behold, it got pushed and pushed to the back of my tasks line up and before I know it, it is almost 6 pm.
But then, it is never too late for these Asparagus and Ham Puff Pastry Pockets. It is not that you cannot do this on a whim. If you are in need of something to munch suddenly, this one is a quick appetizer or a light meal to pull together.
I love how store-bought frozen puff pastries make it easy for me to have some fancy food prepared in no time.
And to think that (ahem, ahem) I used to refuse to buy them before because I prefer to labor hard and make them from scratch. But then, kids happen. And I joined the club of “work smart, not hard” moms. The easier, the better. If there is a shortcut, then that is the way to go.
With just a few ingredients, and some fun assembling, you will have these delicious pockets of vegetable and meat ready for the family, or for some guests coming over.
A tip on the asparagus- make sure you trim off the woody, hard parts. Yes, those fat ones at the end. Make sure you cut them off until all that is left is the soft part of the veggies. Those hard parts won’t really soften after baking, and you will end up with chewy ends in your asparagus.
The asparagus are lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. If you fancy a different combination of herbs and seasonings for flavor, you can definitely do that. These savory pockets are yours to customize.
They are finished off with a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese. Then the pastries are sealed to enclose the filling inside. They are delicious bundles that bring me delight!
They are perfect right out of the oven. Crisp, flaky pastries with warm fillings of meat and vegetable inside. These are best devoured immediately for the most ultimate satisfaction.
But seriously, once you see them, it is impossible that you would want to wait. That would be weird 🙂
If you have leftovers (really?), they will still be as delicious but the crispiness and freshness of the pastries will not last long. Just reheat the leftovers and pair them with a salad for your next day lunch!
More Easy Recipes For You:
- Mushroom and Rice Spicy Thai Soup
- Mushroom Jalapeno Naan Pizza
- Vegetable Mozzarella Tortilla Pizza
- Roasted Veggies Flatbread Pizza
- Roasted Mini Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Bean and Corn Nachos
- My Morning Breakfast Toasts
- Chicken BBQ Pizza
- Chicken Burger Sliders
Asparagus and Ham Puff Pastry Pockets
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bunch asparagus ends trimmed
- 8 slices ham
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss asparagus in olive oil and seasonings. Roll puff pastry into a large rectangle or square that is less than 1/8 inch in thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut the pastry into 8 squares or rectangles.
- Beat one egg and brush it on the surface of the pastries with a pastry brush. Place one slice of ham over each pastry, folding if necessary so that it fits the rectangle. Top the ham with 3-4 pieces of asparagus. Sprinkle cheese over each assembly.
- Pull the edges of the puff pastry over to the center to make them overlap, the filling tucked inside. Brush the outside of each pocket with egg wash. Bake at 425 F for 12-16 minutes, or until the puff pastry is lightly golden.