My morning breakfast toasts are the perfect combination of savory and sweet. The hearty and tasty avocado toast has a hint of heat from the chili flakes and the blueberry toast is sweet, bright and fresh. All your cravings satisfied with this healthy breakfast duo.
Here I am, working on the blog at 3 am and currently melting to NSync’s This I Promise You. Omg, you would think I will be all tired and groggy at this time of the day, but no. It is amazing how this song can still serenade me and pierce me right through the heart even after so many years.
I am trying really hard not to burst out singing because besides me are my kids and husband, sleeping like logs.
I have the purest love for music like that. Things like kids and chores and so many things actually can make me forget that ( hello, motherhood). And rediscovering my favorite songs just feels so awesome. I feel like I can dig through all my Nsyncs songs and play them non-stop.
Speaking of purest love, what I have for you today are my current morning breakfast toasts obsession. Before the Holiday food storm, this is exactly what I have had for breakfast for about two weeks straight. Yes. So if I tell you that I can play one song for a week non-stop, I am not even kidding. That is how my obsession runs.
It all begins with two slices of whole wheat bread. Use rye, use white, it is up to you. I love how a plain slice of bread can become a vehicle for all things yummy when making breakfast toasts. In this case, the toasts are nestled in a thin layer of ricotta cheese. Mmmmm, also my current obsession.
This is the kind of breakfast that answers my morning cravings for both sweet and savory. I tell you, I am utterly satisfied after devouring this. And then the next morning, it is perfectly fine to have it for breakfast again. I think it is the combo of sweet, spicy and savory that makes me so hooked.
The Avocado Toast
- A hint of salty, spicy and creamy.
- Has a bit of texture and nutty flavor from the hemp seeds.
- Totally adaptable: you can add sliced cherry tomatoes, roasted peppers or caramelized onions for a fully loaded breakfast toast.
The Blueberry Toasts
- A breakfast and dessert in one.
- It is creamy from the ricotta and sweet the because of the honey.
- Blueberries give a nice, bright flavor for a morning pick-me-up.
This feels like a truly indulgent breakfast but you won’t be feeling overstuffed. You will feel good and satiated for hours. And just like me, you might want to have it for breakfast again and again.
So start assembling these beauties, have a happy morning!
Looking for more breakfasts? Also, try these:
- Fluffy Pancakes
- Blueberry Muffins
- Sweet Potato Scones with Honey Glaze
- Milk and Sugar Mini Buns
- Milk Bread
- Chocolate Croissant
- Double Chocolate Blueberry Bread Pudding
- Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding
My Morning Breakfast Toasts
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 4 tbsp ricotta
For the Avocado Toast Topping
- 1/2 avocado sliced into strips
- 1/2 to 1 tsp pepper flakes
- about 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tsp olive oil for drizzling
For the Blueberry Toast Topping
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp or more honey for drizzling
For Finishing on both Toasts
- pinch or more salt
- 1-2 tsp hemp seeds
- Toast your bread slices. Spread 2 tbsp of ricotta on each of the bread. For the avocado toast, arrange the avocado slices over one bread slice. Crack black peppercorns over the avocado. Sprinkle with pepper flakes. Sprinkle a pinch (or more, if preferred) of salt. Drizzle with olive oil.
- For the blueberry toast, arrange the blueberries over the ricotta on the other bread slice. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. Drizzle honey over top.
- Sprinkle hemp seeds over the toasts. Enjoy.