You won’t miss the butter in these Coconut Oil Brownies. They are fudgy, moist, ultra chocolatey, and definitely not too overwhelming on the coconut flavor. If you want your brownies butter-free, these are the best ones you can make.
Perhaps the very first thing that will concern you if someone talks about coconut oil brownies is that “how coconut-y will it be?” I know, because that was me asking as well.
Okay, I will get to that matter straight. If you love coconut flavor, you will love this. And if you don’t like coconut, you will surprisingly love this.
These coconut oil brownies are not necessarily be shouting coconut all over. It is well-balanced, super fudgy moist and screams chocolate goodness all throughout.
Chocolate goodness. I think that is the main point here. Chocolate. These brownies are definitely way up there in the chocolate department. There is a hint of coconut, yes. But that is nothing compared to the explosion of chocolate flavor in these brownies. Total goodness.
One thing, these are not dairy-free. The recipe has cream cheese in it, making the coconut flavor seem more like a whisper. Yes, the cream cheese as a masking agent. A delicious one, that is.
What is the point then? Why use coconut oil if the recipe is not completely dairy-free? Well, if you don’t have butter but you have a big tub of organic coconut oil to use up (me), this is for you.
If you want the recipe to be a bit healthier by omitting the butter, this is for you. If you love a hint of coconut in your treats, this is for you. And even if you don’t, this is also for you.
The main thing is they are delicious. They are your rich, chocolatey brownies. Your fudge dream, your chocolate indulgence. This is guaranteed to be your favorite coconut oil brownies.
Coconut Oil Brownies
- Melt coconut oil, cream cheese and chocolate together with cocoa powder over low heat in a medium pot.
- Once smooth, turn off heat and stir the sugar to the mixture. Add in eggs and stir until incorporated. Combine flour and salt and stir it to the mixture as well just until combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into a 7×7 inch square baking pan that is lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 F for 18-23 minutes. The side should look set. A toothpick inserted at the center should come out with bits of moist crumbs.
Lastly, cool them completely before cutting into squares. You will be tempted to scoop a bit while they are piping hot, that is understandable.
But for the most part, let them cool down. In no time, you will have this super delicious brownies squares to enjoy. You can’t stop at one. Promise.
Are you looking for more chocolate treats? Try these:
- Best Ever Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Orange Chocolate Glaze
- Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Icing
- Chocolate Chip Loaf Bread
- Chocolate Brioche
Plus more easy baking recipes:
Coconut Oil Brownies
- ¾ cup Coconut oil measured in solid state
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Line a 7-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium pot over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and cream cheese together with the coconut oil and cocoa powder. Stir occasionally until mixture is smooth. Turn off heat.
- Stir the sugar to the chocolate mixture in the pot until fully incorporated. Add the eggs and lightly stir it into the mixture to incorporate. Combine flour and salt and stir it into the mixture just until it is combined. No need to over-mix. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into the baking dish and spread it evenly across the entire pan. Bake at 350 F for 18-23 minutes. The outer edges should look set and the center may look softer. A toothpick inserted at the center should come out with some bits of fudgy (not too wet) goodness.
- Let the brownies cool before cutting. Store leftovers in a covered container at room temperature.