Have you always wanted to serve a tray full of assorted bread to your guests? This Sweet and Savory Bread Basket combines 4 assorted flavors of bread in one batch, savory and sweet, covered.
You know how some bakeries sell an assortment of their bread in one box? Like a sampler box, you may call it. I fancy those. I have a thing for those boxes filled with more than one variety of bread. It is such a neat idea.
So, today is a dream come true for me. We have an assorted bread basket today. Sweet and savory, 3-4 pieces each, all done in one baking batch.
Sweet and Savory Bread Basket:
- Ham and Cheese (4)
- Honey Cream (4)
- Chocolate (4)
- Liver Spread (3)
And it is nothing so laborious, you guys. I know it can feel intimidating to have 4 kinds of filling in one batch. But I actually picked out easy things to fill the bread with. The only thing that requires cooking among all 4 is the honey cream. The rest are all ready to go.
How to Make Sweet and Savory Bread Basket?
First, let us make the dough. Proof the yeast in warm water, along with about a teaspoon of sugar.
Let it stand until foamy. Add the remaining sugar, the egg, milk, butter and salt. Stir everything well.
Add 3 cups of flour, a cup at a time and stir well until incorporated.
Add remaining flour gradually, stirring well, just until the dough gathers into a soft mass. You may not need all of the flour.
Turn the dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. For a guide to kneading, check out How to Knead Bread Dough with Video.
Let the dough rise, covered in a bowl for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours.
As the dough rises, prepare your fillings.
Deflate the risen dough and divide into 15 equal portions. Fill the dough portions with the filling (illustrations below). Arrange them in a pan that is lined with parchment paper.
Let them rise for about an hour, covered. Brush them with egg wash and bake for 18-22 minutes or until lightly golden.
Below are illustrated guides on how to fill the bread with the different fillings.
Ham and Cheese
Chocolate Buns and Liver Spread Buns
Filling the honey cream uses the same method as the chocolate buns. The liver spread buns and ham and cheese buns are sprinkled with sesame seeds on top before baking. The chocolate buns are garnished with grated chocolate after baking.
And this, my friends, is such a bread basket to bring to parties, to give to a friend, and of course, to have at home. You get to choose from all fun flavors. There is something for everyone 🙂
Want More Bread?
- Braided Hotdog Buns
- Honey Buns with Honey Cream Filling
- Tuna Buns
- Chocolate Brioche
- Nutella Rolls with Nutella Glaze
Sweet and Savory Bread Basket
- 1/4 cup warm water 105-115 F
- 2 and 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash
For the Honey Cream Filling
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp honey
For the Ham and Cheese
- 4 slices ham or more depending on how thick the ham.
- 4 slices cheddar cheese about 1/4 inch thick slices
- sesame seeds for topping
For the Chocolate
- 4 squares chocolates about 1 and 1/2 inches pieces
- grated chocolate for garnish
For the Liver Spread
- 4-5 tbsp liver spread canned
Make the Dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine yeast, about 1 tsp of the sugar and warm water. Let this stand for about 5 minutes, until foamy. Add the remaining sugar, egg, milk butter and salt. Stir everything with a wooden spoon.
- Add 3 cups of flour, one cup at a time and stir everything well until incorporated. Start to add the remaining flour gradually, stirring, just until the dough cleans the bowl and gathers into a shaggy mass. You may not need all of the flour.
- Turn the dough over onto a floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding a bit of flour, as needed to help with the stickiness. Shape the kneaded dough into a ball, place it in a bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rise at room temperature for 1 to 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, make the honey Cream filling. (see instructions at the bottom)
- Deflate the dough and divide it into 15 equal portions.
Honey Cream Buns (4 pieces)
- Take one portion of dough and flatten it with your palms. Spoon about a tablespoon of honey cream in the center. Fold the edges of the dough over to cover the filling. Shape the dough into a smooth ball. Pinch the ends at the bottom and seal. Repeat with 3 more dough portions. Place them on a large baking pan that is lined with parchment paper.
Ham and Cheese Buns (4 pieces)
- Using your palms, flatten one portion of dough into an oval that is about the same size as your hand. Place a slice of ham (or two depending on how thick your ham is) in the center of the oval. Lay a slice of cheese in the center. Fold the ham as needed so that it fits within the oval. Fold the top half of the oval over to center, then the bottom half over the top. Pinch the ends of the oval to seal and smoothen the shape. Repeat with the other three portions. Arrange them on the baking pan along with the rest of the buns.
Chocolate Buns (3 pieces)
- Using your palms, flatten a portion into about 1/4 inch thickness. Lay a piece of chocolate in the center of the dough. Fold the edges over to the center and form a smooth ball. Pich the ends at the bottom to seal. Repeat with the remaining three portions. Arrange in the pan along with the rest of the dough.
Liver Spread Buns (3 pieces)
- Using your palms, flatten a portion of dough into a thinner oval ( see photos in the post). Spoon about a tablespoon and a half along the ccenter of the oval. Roll into a log and seal the ends. Repeat with the other two portions and arrange them in the pan along with the rest.
Let the Rolls Rise and Bake
- Cover the baking pan with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for an hour or so, until puffy and doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350 F. Brush the buns with the beaten egg. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the liver spread buns and ham and cheese buns. Bake the buns at 350 F for 18-22 minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle grated chocolate over the warm chocolate buns. Arrange the buns on a basket or serving bowl.
To Make the Honey Cream
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until bubbly. Add the flour and stir together using a whisk for about a minute or until the mixture has browned a little bit. Add the evaporated milk and continue stirring until mixture thickens. Add the honey. Stir mixture well until the consistency is thick like condensed milk. It will thicken up as it cools down.