An easy meal for your weeknights, Soy mustard chicken are fried pieces of juicy chicken thighs smothered in a rich, sweet, salty and tangy sauce. This is a tasty chicken dish that is done in thirty minutes.
My aunt, whom I call Nanay, is the designated cook for our family. She just have this big passion for cooking that she will spend every Sunday cooking big batches of dishes for everyone to take home.
She packages the food in groups, making sure each family gets every item in the menu then send us off with food to cover us for 3-4 days.
And that, my friends, is such a good thing for me. It saves me a ton of time and energy especially now that my kids demand so much attention and time. We are so lucky to have my nanay whose joy is to cook and feed people.
Now, on days when the food supply from her run out, this is when easy meals come to play.
This soy mustard chicken is a simple but tasty dish that can be done easily if you want something without all the fuss during your weekdays.
The chicken thighs are fried and then get smothered in a tasty sauce made up of soy sauce, ketchup and mustard. This combination yields a sweet, salty and tangy profile that is perfect for me but if you want the “sweet” to dominate, you can add a teaspoon or two of brown sugar.
Either way, this sauce coats your chicken beautifully making each bite lip lickin’ good.
Debone the Chicken
There is nothing really complicated here. The chicken gets deboned, which is done by using a scissor to cut around that little rod of bone at the center of the thigh. Just make sure that you cut as close to the bone as possible, leaving the meat intact.
Feel like using your knife skills? This post is a nice visual guide to debone a chicken thigh using a knife.
Sear the Chicken
Season the chicken then sear in a pan with hot oil. Once you lay a few pieces at a time in the pan, leave them undisturbed until you get a nice, golden sear. Turn the chicken over and cook on the other side.
Cook the Sauce
Place seared chicken with their juices on a plate and set aside. Melt butter in another pan, saute garlic then add the sauce. Add in all the fried chicken with all its juices and let everything cook together over medium heat for a few more minutes. Toss the chicken around so that each piece gets coated with the sauce.
I always cook this soy mustard chicken whenever I get so caught up with work around the house and usually that is during laundry or when it is bake day for the blog.
This dish saves me whenever I don’t have any menu on the plan. It just feels good that after a long, busy day I still get something on the table that is tasty and quick.
So next time you need something fast, try this soy mustard chicken and you will love it. You will also love that no one will notice that you almost forgot to cook dinner.
More Chicken Recipes for your Weeknights:
- 5-Ingredient Lemon BBQ Chicken
- Chicken Katsu with Sweet Soy Dipping Sauce
- Rosemary Chicken with Garlic
And if you made a recipe from the blog, tag me on my instagram, I would like to see!
Soy Mustard Chicken
- 5 -6 pieces chicken thighs deboned
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- cooking oil for frying the chicken
- 2 -3 tbsp butter
SOY MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp. mustard you can use the flavoured ones if you prefer
- To debone the chicken thighs, use a scissor to cut around the bones of the chicken, cutting as close to the bone as possible.
- Heat up a frying pan with cooking oil. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Fry the chicken thighs with the skin side up until nicely seared and repeat on the skin side, Do this in batches because you will not get a good seared color when the chicken is too crowded in the pan. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Heat up butter in another pan. Saute the garlic until soft. Add the sauce ingredients and the chicken with all its juices into the pan. Cook for 5-7 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Garnish chicken with chopped cilantro.