Condensed milk. It is one of the stuff I can eat with a spoon, straight from its can. This thick and luxurious liquid is a treat on its own- sweet, creamy and milky.
I remember licking empty cans and used spoons as a kid when my aunts were making fruit salads, And trust me, those last few drops of condensed milk are the most gratifying!
Fudgy and Gooey Cookie Bars with Condensed Milk and Nutella Centers
- These cookie bars are special treats because they combine two addictive elements in a dessert: Condensed milk and Nutella.
- Is not Nutella one of those things that you can eat straight from its jar? Right. And these cookie bars are awesome because they are oozing out these two delicious goodies in their centers.
- I love the slight crunch that the pecan imparts on the texture of the cookies. As you bite, you catch gooey Nutella and condensed milk, and you are surprised with some bits of crunch here and there.
Make the Dough.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, egg, sugars, vanilla and coffee granules. Stir well until the ingredients are incorporated.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the mixing bowl and stir the mixture until a soft dough is formed.
Reserve about 1/2 cup of the mixture. Transfer the remaining dough into the pan, then press it so that it is evenly spread.
Layer the Nutella, Condensed Milk and Pecans
Spoon dollops of Nutella over the dough, then spread it evenly using an offset spatula. Next, pour condensed milk over the Nutella. Spread it evenly.
Sprinkle chopped pecans all over the top, then drop the reserved dough in dollops over the pecans. You do not need to cover everything.
Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, or until the edges are set and the top is lightly golden. Allow this to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Recipe Variations for Cookie Bars:
- Add a variety of nuts like walnuts, peanuts, and almonds instead of just pecans.
- Add a few raisins and other dried fruits.
- Replace Nutella with cookie butter, peanut butter or chocolate spread.
- Add chocolate chips or M&Ms in place of the pecans.
I love these cookies in bar form and I am amazed at the many ways you can vary it. Next time, I might try replacing the Nutella with Reese’s spread too! In the meantime, you have to try this recipe, I assure you that you will love it!
Looking for more baked goodies? You might love these.
Recipe adapted from: Butter Baking