Coffee Cinnamon Rolls take your favorite cinnamon buns to the next level. Soft, coffee-infused bread slathered with rich coffee cream cheese icing, these are sweet perfection!
We are enjoying coffee-based desserts lately. These Coffee Cinnamon Rolls are coffee flavored buns that are slathered with a rich and creamy coffee cream cheese icing.
Coffee Cinnamon Rolls
These are made with soft dough that is filled with a mixture of coffee, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter. The icing is a special whipped cream that is made even richer by the addition of cream cheese and butter.
Instant coffee granules infuse the icing with flavor, which you can adjust according to your preference.
Make the Dough. Add warm water in the bowl of stand mixer. Then, sprinkle the yeast and about a teaspoon from the sugar. Let this stand for 5-10 minutes, or until frothy.
Add the remaining sugar, milk, butter, egg and salt. Stir everything well with a wooden spoon. Add half of the flour and stir until combined. Add the remaining half and incorporate everything.
Knead. Attach the dough hook and knead the dough for 3-5 minutes, sprinkling up to ¼ cup of flour gradually if the dough is still too wet. The dough is ready once it is mooth, and it gathers in the center of the bowl.
First Rise. Shape the dough into a ball. Let it rise in a bowl, covered for 1 and ½ hours, or until the size is doubled. Meanwhile combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and coffee granules in a small bowl.
Roll and Fill the Dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough in a floured surface until it is ¼ inch thick. Spread the softened, almost melty butter all over the dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture.
Starting on the long edge of the rectangle, roll the dough into a tight log. Slice the log into 12 portions. First cut the log in half, then cut those two halves into 6 smaller portions each, for a total of 12.
Second Rise. Arrange the portions of dough in a parchment-lined baking pan that is 9x 13 inch in size. Cover loosely and let tise for 1 hour.
Bake the cinnamon buns at 350 F for 22-25 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned. Allow the buns to cool completely.
Make the Coffee Cream Cheese Icing.
- Combine hot water and instant coffee granules and stir until coffee is dissolved. Allow this mixture to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and icing sugar until combined and creamy.
- With the mixer still running, pour the cream in a thin, steady stream into the bowl. Continue to beat until the mixture form soft peaks.
- Add the coffee mixture and beat until the mixture is thick but spreadable. Spread the icing om the cooled buns. Dust the top with cocoa powder.
Tips and Pointers
- Melted Butter in the Filling. The butter should be warm, softened and almost melting. To do this, microwave the butter for 15 seconds or so, until it is very soft.
- The Coffee Granules in the Icing. You can add more coffee if you want a stronger flavor. I started with 1 teaspoon. Just make sure to dissolve the granules completely, then cool the mixture down.
- Storage. Keep the buns in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
For the Dough
- ¼ cup warm water (105-115 F)
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup sugar ( 50 grams)
- ¼ cup butter, melted (57 grams)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour (470 grams), plus ¼ cup reserved (31 grams)
For the Filling
- 1/3 cup very soft and warm butter (75.6 grams)
- ½ cup brown sugar (100 grams)
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Coffee Cream Cheese Icing
- ¼ cup softened butter ( 57 grams)
- ½ block cream cheese, softened (125 grams)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp hot water
- cocoa powder, for dusting the buns
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast and about 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Let this stand for about 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and foamy.
- Add the milk, egg, sugar, melted butter and salt. Stir everything with a wooden spoon until the egg is dispersed and the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add half of the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is combined. Add the remaining half and stir well.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer and knead the dough for 3-5 minutes, or until the dough starts to gather in the center of the bowl. If the dough is still very wet and loose, sprinkle up to ¼ cup of flour. The dough is ready once it cleans the sides of the bowl, and it is smooth.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a bowl. Allow it to rise for 1 ½ hours, covered with a clean towel.
- Once risen, gently deflate and roll into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and coffee granules in a small bowl. Smear the very soft, almost melted butter over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly all over the butter.
- Starting on the long edge of the rectangle, roll the dough into a tight log. Pinch the seams to seal. Slice the log into 12 portions and arrange them on a parchment-lined 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover the pan loosely and allow the buns to rise for 1 hour, or until soft and puffy.
- Bake the coffee cinnamon rolls at 350, F for 22-25 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned. Allow the buns to cool completely then pour and slather the coffee cream cheese icing. Dust the top with cocoa powder for garnish.
How To Make the Coffee Cream Cheese Icing
- Combine hot water and instant coffee granules and stir until lump-free. Allow this mixture to cool. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and icing sugar until combined and creamy.
- With the mixer still running, pour the cream in a thin, steady drizzle into the bowl. Continue to beat until the mixture form soft peaks. Add the coffee mixture and beat until the mixture is thick but spreadable.
Store the leftover Coffee Cinnamon Rolls at room temperature for up to 3 days, covered or sealed tightly in a container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 bun
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 419mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g