Coffee Cinnamon Rolls take your favorite cinnamon buns to the next level. Soft, coffee-infused bread slathered with rich coffee cream cheese icing, these are sweet perfection!
We are enjoying coffee-based desserts lately. These Coffee Cinnamon Rolls are coffee flavored buns that are slathered with a rich and creamy coffee cream cheese icing.
Coffee Cinnamon Rolls
These are made with soft dough that is filled with a mixture of coffee, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter. The icing is a special whipped cream that is made even richer by the addition of cream cheese and butter.
Instant coffee granules infuse the icing with flavor, which you can adjust according to your preference.
Make the Dough. Add warm water in the bowl of stand mixer. Then, sprinkle the yeast and about a teaspoon from the sugar. Let this stand for 5-10 minutes, or until frothy.
Add the remaining sugar, milk, butter, egg and salt. Stir everything well with a wooden spoon. Add half of the flour and stir until combined. Add the remaining half and incorporate everything.
Knead. Attach the dough hook and knead the dough for 3-5 minutes, sprinkling up to ¼ cup of flour gradually if the dough is still too wet. The dough is ready once it is mooth, and it gathers in the center of the bowl.
First Rise. Shape the dough into a ball. Let it rise in a bowl, covered for 1 and ½ hours, or until the size is doubled. Meanwhile combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and coffee granules in a small bowl.
Roll and Fill the Dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough in a floured surface until it is ¼ inch thick. Spread the softened, almost melty butter all over the dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture.
Starting on the long edge of the rectangle, roll the dough into a tight log. Slice the log into 12 portions. First cut the log in half, then cut those two halves into 6 smaller portions each, for a total of 12.
Second Rise. Arrange the portions of dough in a parchment-lined baking pan that is 9x 13 inch in size. Cover loosely and let tise for 1 hour.
Bake the cinnamon buns at 350 F for 22-25 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned. Allow the buns to cool completely.
Make the Coffee Cream Cheese Icing.
- Combine hot water and instant coffee granules and stir until coffee is dissolved. Allow this mixture to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and icing sugar until combined and creamy.
- With the mixer still running, pour the cream in a thin, steady stream into the bowl. Continue to beat until the mixture form soft peaks.
- Add the coffee mixture and beat until the mixture is thick but spreadable. Spread the icing om the cooled buns. Dust the top with cocoa powder.
Tips and Pointers
- Melted Butter in the Filling. The butter should be warm, softened and almost melting. To do this, microwave the butter for 15 seconds or so, until it is very soft.
- The Coffee Granules in the Icing. You can add more coffee if you want a stronger flavor. I started with 1 teaspoon. Just make sure to dissolve the granules completely, then cool the mixture down.
- Storage. Keep the buns in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days.