Salted Caramel Scones give you the perfect flavor contrast as the sweetness and saltiness blend beautifully in this delightful, buttery treat!
There is something so addictive about these scones that one bite takes me deeper and deeper into the desire to have more. Heavenly is an appropriate term when you catch bits of the soft caramel chips embedded in the buttery crumbs of these salted caramel scones.
They are divine. The sweet, buttery caramel contrasted by the addition of salt in the toppings make these scones the perfect breakfast treat for me. Yes, forget about going to your local coffee shop, these scones are just at your fingertips. And they taste a million times better!
With just a little dough work, you will have these ultimate caramel treats.
Pointers for Making Salted Caramel Scones
- Scones start off as if you were making a regular pastry, a pie crust if you will. You will cut the chilled butter cubes into the dry ingredients, and you are looking to achieve a mixture that looks like a coarse meal.
- A pastry blender is best to use here, but you can also use 2 knives or your hands.
- After achieving the coarse meal consistency, add the cream cheese. And it is important to note that the cream cheese should be soft as that will help the dough to come together, along with the whipping cream. Add the vanilla and the salted caramel chips, and stir the mixture until it turns into a dough.
- The caramel sauce is vital to this recipe and should not be skipped. You will spread it on top of the scones before baking, and then pour some more on them at serving time. It is pure goodness!
So the next time you need an indulgent breakfast treats for the weekend, here are your salted caramel scones. Meanwhile, you will find me here with a little cup of tea, with a good book in hand, and these scones on a lovely weekday morning.
Want more treats? Also, try:
- Best Ever Chocolate Brownies
- Buttermilk Cinnamon Muffins
- Butterscotch Bars with Pecans and Chocolate Chips
- Cookie Bars with Condensed Milk and Nutella
Salted Caramel Scones
Salted Caramel Scones give you the perfect flavor contrast as the sweetness and saltiness blend beautifully in this ultimate buttery treat.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chilled, cut into small cubes
- 1 block cream cheese 250 grams, softened
- ½ cup salted caramel chips
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Salted Caramel Topping
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
Preheat oven to 375˚ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut in ½ cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add cream cheese and stir until well combined. Add the salted caramel chips, cream and vanilla extract, and stir until dough comes together.
Roll the dough in a floured surface into a circle that is 3/4 inch thick. Cut 12 rounds using a 2½-inch cutter, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Gather the scraps of dough and roll again, and cut as many circles as you still can.
Make the Caramel Topping: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar and ¼ cup butter. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until mixture is smooth. Brush tops of scones with the caramel, reserving some syrup for later. Sprinkle each evenly with salt.
Bake scones for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly golden. Brush with remaining caramel syrup and serve.
Recipe adapted from: Tea Time Magazine
This post contains an affiliate link for your convenience. Please see disclosure page for details.