Bake this chewy Butterscotch Bars with Pecans and Chocolate Chips and you will have delightful treats to munch on any time of day. With the nuts to add some crunch and the chocolate chips to add flavor, these treats have it all in the bag!
I can’t stop eating sweets. Between the delicacies we brought home from the Philippines, and the chocolates left from the holidays, my body should be about 80% sugar right now.
I blame it on the time of the month, and the cold weather, and the fact that the sweets are all around the house enticing me to eat each time.
Then there are also sweets coming from the blog. And it didn’t help (or actually it did) that these Butterscotch bars are bars, meaning it is so easy to grab one and eat, and then repeat.
You see those squares up there? I actually cut them further into four after taking the photos so these butterscotch bars are now butterscotch bites. You can actually pop them in your mouth.
And again, I just couldn’t stop eating them. I have to walk away from the container each time so I could stop.
These are chewy but every bite has texture because there is crunch from the pecans, and occasionally, you will catch those gooey and rich milk chocolate chips adding decadence to these delicious treats.
And making this is a cinch. One bowl and no mixer required! So you can make these on a weekday or just whenever you feel the need to have some treats in your system. And you can box them up fancy and give them away as edible gifts. One batch can make so much, especially if you cut them into bite sizes.
Butterscotch Bars: Recipe Variations
If you want to change things up, you can try:
- Butterscotch chips or caramel chocolate chips instead of the milk chocolate.
- Instead of pecans, you can add walnuts or whole almonds.
- You can also add raisins to the batter to add flavor.
If you enjoyed Butterscotch bars with pecans and chocolate chips, you will also love:
- Best Ever Chocolate Brownies
- Cookie Bars with Condensed Milk and Nutella
- Cornbread Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Mini Vanilla Cupcakes
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls with Coffee Icing
Butterscotch Bars with Pecans and Chocolate Chips
- 140 g butter melted, plus extra for greasing the baking tin
- 2 large eggs
- 350 g brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 100 g milk chocolate chips
- 100 g pecan nuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with melted butter. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until lighter in color and a little bit thicker. Add the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Stir well until everything is incorporated.
- Add the flour, chocolate chips and some of the pecans, reserving about a small handful for the topping later. Stir in everything just until smooth, but do not overbeat.
- Spread the mixture on the greased baking tin and use the back of the spoon to level the surface. Sprinkle the reserved pecan nuts on top and bake for 25-30 minutes. The butterscotch should look set and a toothpick inserted at the center should come out with some moist crumbs.