Teriyaki Turkey Rice Bowl is a delicious medley of tender-crisp vegetables, saucy meat and sesame rice, all in one flavorful bowl! This post is brought to you by Hello Fresh. All opinions stated are mine.
One of the simple joys that are easily accessible in all these staying at home is that I get to cook lunches and eat with Adrian. Now that he gets to work from home, he is able to enjoy fresh cooked meals. And as for me, I love the variety of dishes that is available for me to cook now that I have more time in my hands to find inspirations for our next meal.
Today I bring you an Asian inspired meal that has easily became our favorite: Teriyaki Turkey Rice Bowl. It contains veggies, meat and rice all ready to eat in a bowl. This recipe from Hello Fresh is such a keeper!
I find myself torn in between all the delicious recipes that are available in the Hello Fresh recipe hub. All their dishes are gleaming bright with all the vibrant colors of produce on the plate. But one look at this Teriyaki Turkey Rice bowl and I knew it won my heart- it is a complete, flavorful dish in one bowl!
The veggies, cooked to tender-crisp, provides amazing texture in the dish. The turkey, so saucy and flavorful rounds up the entire flavor of the dish. And not to mention, the rice is cooked along with garlic and sesame seeds for a nice hint of Asian flavor as a base. This is completely wonderful!
How to Make Teriyaki Turkey Rice Bowl?
After washing and drying all your veggies, prep them for cooking: Slice the carrots into rounds, thinly slice the green onions, mince the garlic, core and de-seed the bell pepper and cut it into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Separate the bokchoy leaves and cut them into manageable pieces as needed.
To make the rice, heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add rice, half of the sesame seeds and the garlic. Cook them, stirring often until fragrant. Add 2 and 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
To cook the veggies, heat oil in a wide pan. Add the carrots and bell peppers and toss frequently, cooking them until tender-crisp. Season with salt and pepper. Add the bokchoy and cook them until tender. Turn off heat and transfer the vegetables to a plate and cover it keep it warm. I like my veggies with still a little bit of bite to them. If you prefer, you can cook them until they are tender to your liking.
To the same pan, add oil. Cook turkey, breaking them apart until no pink color remains. Whisk together oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, cornstarch and water in a bowl. Stir the mixture well so it is lump- free. Pour this mixture to the pan and allow the mixture to boil. Lower heat and continue to cook until the sauce is slightly thickened. Turn off heat.
Now the three components of your recipe are done! All you have to do now is make your bowls. Fluff your rice, stir in half the green onions and sprinkle some salt. Divide the rice among your bowls and top with your turkey and veggies. Use your remaining sesame seeds and green onions for garnish.
Mmmm. The delicious life!
Check out Chinese Recipes from Hello Fresh if you want more Asian inspired dishes, or go to Hello Fresh website to learn more about their meal kits delivery. I had so much fun making this simple but delicious lunch. This will surely be on repeat. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 1 and 1/2 cup Jasmine Rice
- 3-4 cloves garlic (6 grams)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 large red bell pepper (about 340 grams)
- 4-5 medium carrots (about 227 grams)
- 3 bunch baby bokchoy about 227 grams)
- 4 stalks green onion
- 1/2 cup vegetarian oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 500 grams ground turkey
- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 and 1/2 cups plus 1 cup water
- Wash and dry your veggies. Mince garlic and thinly slice the green onions. Peel and slice the carrots into 1/4 inch thick rounds, core the bell pepper, and slice to 1/2 inch pieces. Separate baby bokchoy leaves and cut each piece into 2-3 parts as needed.
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp of cooking oil. Add the garlic, rice and half of the sesame seeds. Stir the ingredients occasionally, until fragrant. Carefully add 2 and 1/2 cups of water. Over high heat, bring the rice mixture to a boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, lower the heat and cover. Cook for 12-14 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Add the carrots and bell peppers. Over high heat cook the mixture until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes tossing the veggies occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Add the bokchoy and cook for 5 more minutes, or until tender. Transfer the veggies to a plate and cover with foil or paper towel to keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, cornstarch and 1 cup of water in a medium bowl until the mixture is lump-free.
- Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil in the same pan. Over medium heat, cook the turkey, breaking it apart with your utensil. Once the turkey is browned and no pink color remains, gently pour the oyster sauce mixture to the pan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and continue to cook until the sauce is slightly thickened. Turn off heat.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in half of the green onions and season with a dash or two of salt. To assemble the rice bowls, Spoon the rice among bowls, top with the turkey mixture and the veggies. Garnish the bowls with the remaining sesame seeds and green onions.
Recipe from Hello Fresh
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 629Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 1504mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 36g