This Brown Butter Pound Cake is rich and moist on the inside, and crisp and toasty along the edges. The browned butter adds a great distinct flavor to this simple but special cake.
Hello bakers! Here is a simple, homey cake you can make any time- Brown Butter Pound Cake. This is one of those types that I like-unglazed, frosting free.
The flavor of the browned butter gives the cake a deep, nutty flavor. It is rich without going overboard, and the edges are crispy and toasty (my favorite part!).
Browning butter is a simple process of, well, browning the butter slowly in a saucepan. You start off by melting the butter in a pan, and slowly, the melted butter bubbles, and eventually turns golden.
It is best to use a light-colored saucepan here. That way, you can easily judge whether your butter is already nicely golden, and not darkened and burnt. It is normal to have some brown bits settling at the bottom of the pan. Those are your milk solids, and you want those to go in your cake too.
Transfer the browned butter in a cup. We want this to cool down and set before starting to make the cake. Let it set for about 2 hours or more, at room temperature.
Then we start!
Brown Butter Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan. On a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until it is fluffy. Beat in the sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla briefly.
- On another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- To the bowl with the egg mixture, alternately add the flour mixture and the milk. Begin with 1/3 of the flour, followed by 1/2 of the milk. Add another 1/3 of the flour and follow with the remaining 1/2 cup of milk. Add the remaining flour last. Stir the mixture after each addition just until the ingredient is incorporated.
- Fold in chopped walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 f for 55-65 minutes. Loosely cover the top of the cake with foil during the last ten minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
And here my friends, are one of the simple but best things in life. Enjoy!
More Delicious Cakes:
- Pineapple Chiffon Cake with Sweet Pineapple Glaze
- Pineapple Loaf Cake
- Chocolate Chip Loaf Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Bread with Oatmeal Crumbs
- Marble Cake Loaf