Cream Cheese bread Rolls are ultra soft bread filled with sweet cream cheese, then brushed with butter, sprinkled with sugar and topped with more cream cheese. They are such a delight!
Here is another entry to add to our Sweet Bread Recipes. Filled with sweetened cream cheese, Cream Cheese bread rolls are delightfully indulgent, yet they are not that really sweet.
It has just the perfect touch of richness and a bit of sweetness, and they are my current favorite bread treats!
Cream Cheese Bread Rolls
I patterned the idea after my soft and buttery Sugar Buns. But since it seems that some of you have difficulty prepping for the overnight tangzhong (most forgot that it needs an overnight step before the actual dough), I went the regular dough route and omitted the tangzhong. This is the same bread dough that I used for Honey Buns.
The bread is filled with cream cheese that is sweetened with a touch of honey. And for a bit more indulgence, we brush the buns with melted butter before baking, and then sprinkle some sugar on top.
And there is more! As garnish, we place bits of cream cheese on top of every bun! These are fun and delicious!
Let’s Make them!
Make the Dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, warm water and about a teaspoon of the sugar. Let this sit for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy.
- Add the milk, the remaining sugar, egg, salt and melted butter. Stir everything with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer. Add half of the flour, then beat at low speed until incorporated. Add the remaining half and beat, starting at low speed until the dough starts to form a shaggy mass.
- Speed up the mixer to knead the dough for about 5-7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and is gathering in the center. It should start cleaning the sides of the bowl. You can sprinkle up to 5 tbsp. of flour here if the dough is still too wet and does not gather.
- The dough should be elastic and is making the slapping sounds. This is an indication that your dough is adequately kneaded.
The First Rise
Dust your hands lightly with flour, then dust a bowl as well. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer it into the bowl. Cover this with a clean towel and allow it to rise for 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
The Sweetened Cream Cheese
Beat the softened cream cheese until it is fluffy. Add the honey and beat until incorporated. Done!
Shape and Fill the Dough
- After the first rise, deflate the dough and shape it into a log. Cut the log into 12 equal portions. Then, flatten each portion into a disc that is about ¼ inch thick.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp. of the honey cream cheese in the center, Fold the edges over the filling, twist the ends to seal and shape the dough into a smooth ball.
- Arrange the shaped buns, spaced evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow them to rise a second time, for about 40 minutes or until they are soft and puffy.
Make the Final Touches and Bake!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Brush some melted butter on top of the buns. Sprinkle sugar all over. Take the cream cheese out of the freezer and cut it into 12 portions.
- Make indentions on the center of each bun and place the cream cheese on top. Bake the buns at 350 F for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Let them cool slightly, as the filling is hot.
Pointers and Tips for Making Cream Cheese Rolls
- If the dough is still too sticky and wet after about 7 minutes of kneading, sprinkle up to about 5 tbsp. of all-purpose flour, until the dough gathers in the center and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened and at room temperature for ease of mixing. Take it out of the fridge at least 1 hour ahead.
- On the other hand, the cream cheese for the topping should be well chilled at the time of baking to ensure it does not melt all the way. Chill it in the freezer for 10 minutes before placing them in the buns.
- Use light colored pans as darker pans tend to over-brown the bottom of the buns.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make this ahead either by refrigerating the dough after the first rise or you can refrigerate the shaped buns (before adding the toppings) then continue the rest of the procedure the next day. Make sure the dough are covered well with plastic film, either way.
You can freeze the dough after the first rise. Gently punch it down, wrap it in plastic film then in foil. Freeze for up to 2 weeks.
More Filled Bread
Cream Cheese Bread Rolls
For the Bread Dough
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water 105-115 ℉
- ⅔ cup warm milk
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- ¾ cup cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp honey
For the toppings
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- sugar for sprinkling on top
- ¼ cup cream cheese chilled in the freezer for 20 minutes before using in the recipe
Make the Bread Dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, about a teaspoon of the sugar and warm water. Let this stand for about 5 minutes, until the mixture looks creamy. Add milk, the melted butter, egg and sugar to the bowl and stir with wooden spoon until combined.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Once all the flour has been added, the dough will be shaggy and soft. Attach the dough hook to the stand mixer. Knead the dough on medium-high for about 10 minutes or so, until the dough is smooth and is cleaning the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle some flour to the dough for easier handling. Shape it into a ball and place it in a lightly floured bowl. Cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Let this rise for 1½ hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, make the sweetened cream cheese (instructions below). Once the dough has risen, punch it down gently and divide to 12 portions. Flatten one portion with your palms until it is about ¼ thick. Scoop about 1 ½ tablespoon of the filling in the center. Pull the edges of the flattened dough over the filling to filling. Twist the ends together to seal the dough, forming a smooth ball.
- Repeat with the rest of the portions. Arrange the balls of filled dough in a greased 9×13 inch baking pan that is lined with parchment paper. Let them rise, covered for 40 minutes to 1 hour, until puffy and doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Brush the buns with melted butter, then sprinkle about 3 tsp of sugar all over. Slice the cream cheese into 12 portions. Make an indentation on the center of each buns and place the cream cheese on top.
- Bake the cream cheese buns for 15-20 minutes or until the buns are golden.
The Sweetened Cream Cheese
- In a mixing bowl, beat softened cream cheese until creamy and fluffy. Add the honey and beat until combined.
- If the dough seems too wet and does not form into a shaggy mass after 7 minutes of kneading, you can sprinkle up to 5 tbsp. of all-purpose flour while the mixer is running. The dough should soon gather in the center and clean the sides of the bowl.
- After kneading in the mixer, dust your hands with a little flour to make handling the dough easier. Dust the bowl in which the dough will rise too.
- The bread will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, placed in a tight container.