This Sausage Tortellini Soup gives you warmth in a bowl. The creamy and tasty broth, the crunchy vegetables and the flavorful Italian sausage make this soup the perfect comfort food on a cold day.
This sausage tortellini soup has been our favorite ever since the cold weather has set in here in our place. There is nothing like a bowl of this creamy and flavorful broth to warm us up and comfort us during this season.
I am not really much of a soup fan. I used to only like the Asian hot and sour soup from the chinese buffet, and that is the only soup I ever craved. But when this sausage tortellini soup came into existence in my life, I was hooked.
Since trying it out the first time, this soup immediately became a family favorite.
The recipe is so versatile. You can use leafy vegetables other than cabbage, and it is still amazing. I love how the Italian sausage infuses the broth with so much flavor, and the crunch from the vegetables gives this tortellini soup contrasting textures that makes it so interesting.
It is, indeed, a soup with lots of substance. You don’t just sip a spoon of broth one after another. Every spoonful of this soup is packed with so much texture, flavor, and character. It is truly a keeper.
Sausage Tortellini Soup: Recipe Variations
- You can use spinach instead of cabbage.
- You can use all 2% milk, or all evaporated milk instead of a combination of the two.
- You can add more broth or milk to achieve your desired consistency for the broth.
- Experiment with other tortellini aside from cheese.
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut into strips
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz. cheese tortellini
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 small cabbage chopped into little pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook sausage and use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a plate. Set aside.
- Saute the garlic and onion in the same pot until soft. Add the carrots and toss around for a few minutes. Add the flour and whisk everything for one minute. Gradually add chicken broth and bring mixture to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausage, the tortellini and the two kinds of milk. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 2-4 minutes until the cabbage is tender-crisp and the tortellini is cooked.
- Serve hot.