This Smokies and Veggies Pot Pie is a tasty, comforting dish full of flavorful smokies and tender vegetables, all nested under a tender-crisp biscuit topping.
Disclosure: I have partnered with Grimm’s Fine Foods to host a giveaway and to donate Grimm’s Food products to Siloam Mission, Winnipeg. All opinions expressed are my own.
The hearty smokies shine in this simple pot pie recipe, together with the vegetables, you have an easy weeknight meal to fill your busy nights. Pot pies. I love the cozy and homey feel of a warm pot pie out of the oven. It never fails to impart that feeling of comfort with every bite.
In this recipe, I used biscuits in place of a traditional pie crust topping. And I love that the proportion of the tasty, meaty smokies and the biscuits are perfectly balanced. The biscuits serve as a perfect base for the creamy filling underneath.
I was so excited as I crafted this recipe because I am honored to collaborate in a good cause, that is, to enliven the spirit of giving and generosity around the community.
Grimm’s Fine Foods aims to always give back through active presence and participation in community events across Canada. And this is a perfect opportunity for me to explain to our kids, that while they often see an abundant spread of food on our table especially during the holidays, some people have very little on their plates.
For this blog, for my work and writing to be a part of a great cause is humbling and it gives my craft a deeper meaning. To get the spirit of generosity going, Grimm’s Fine Foods is giving away an awesome product package to a lucky reader, and also a donation of their specialty meats to a humble charity here in our city: Siloam Mission.
Siloam Mission is a non-profit organization that provides free meals, clothing, shelters, counseling and many other services to the homeless here in our city. You guys, I am always excited to write a blog post but writing this one is different-level exciting!
Smokies and Veggies Pot Pie: The Process
Heat olive oil in a wide skillet. Cook the smokies until lightly browned. Set aside.
In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until they are soft. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery. Add a bit more oil if needed. Cook the vegetables until the carrot and potatoes are fork-tender.
Add the butter and stir the ingredients well. Once the butter is bubbly, add the flour. Stir it in until no white streaks remain.
Again, the butter will start to become bubbly. Gradually add in the chicken broth and milk. Cook while stirring constantly, until the liquid thickens.
Add the cooked smokies back to the pan. Add the peas. Stir all the ingredients well, making sure that the smokies are coated with the sauce.
Evenly divide the filling between two 9-inch pie plates.
Top with the rounds of biscuits. Bake the pot pies at 400 F for about 20-25 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden and the sauce is bubbly.
And finally, enjoy a hearty meal filled with Grimm’s Fine Foods Original Bavarian Smokies, warm and fresh out of the oven. I tell you, this dish is so tasty and filling even with the smokies alone! You will love this Sausage and Veggies Pot Pie for a special family dinner or even as one of your weeknight meals.
Also, don’t forget to head on over to Facebook to join our #GrimmsGivesBack Giveaway. You get the chance to win a Grimm’s Fine Foods cooler filled with their delicious varieties of meats for you to enjoy. And you also become part of their campaign of giving to charities and organizations. It is all a good cause! (Note: We love you all but we are only able to ship to a Canadian address.)
And wait, there’s more! I have another giveaway for you, too. Enter below to join Woman Scribbles and Grimm’s Fine Foods giveaway on Pinterest. You will receive an awesome Grimm’s Fine Foods package priced at $100.
- Grimm’s Fine Food Kolbassa Ring Sausage
- Cheddar Cheese
- Honey Garlic Mini Peps
- Cervelat Salami
- Original Bavarian Smokies
- and more!
All you have to do is enter your info in the widget below and follow the steps to make entries.
The winner is: Debbie Bashford
Thank you very much to all who joined! ‘Til next giveaway guys!
Smokies and Veggies Pot Pie with Biscuits Topping
- 1 450 g package Grimm’s FIne Original Bavarian Smokies sliced into rounds
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 340g tube refrigerated biscuits dough or make your own
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a wide pan and cook the sliced Grimm's Fine Foods Original Bavarian Smokies until they are lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To the same pan, saute the garlic and onion until they are soft. Add more oil if needed and cook the potatoes, celery and carrots until the carrots and potatoes are fork tender. Add the butter to the skillet and stir it into the vegetables. When the butter is bubbly, add in the flour and keep stirring until no white streaks remain.
- Once the flour has turned slightly brown, gradually pour in the chicken stock and the milk. Stir constantly until the liquid bubbles and thickens. Add the cooked smokies back to the pan. Also, add the peas.
- Stir everything for a few minutes more. Turn off heat and evenly divide the filling mixture into two 9 inch pie plates. Top with rounds of biscuits and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden and the sauce is bubbly.
And that’s it! Good luck to all who joined. Remember, visit the Grimm’s Facebook page for our #GrimmsGivesBack giveaway where you have the chance to win a Grimm’s Fine Foods cooler filled with their specialty meats and cheese.”