This simple and easy to make Berry Cake is buttery, oh-so-delicate and loaded with all the bright flavors of the berries.
I love a combination of berries in my smoothies. One quick blend of it with some almond milk, bananas, and a handful of spinach gives me a feel-good boost any time of the day.
Berries in a cake is another story. In this Easy Berry Cake, berries get an indulgent edge as they get mixed in a buttery, sweet cake batter. Bright flavors meet richness. Fruity notes meet milky.
This is one of my favorite ways to incorporate berries in a baked dessert. It is so simple and easy. I can make it anytime I want. One bowl and basically, dump, stir and bake. One of my favorite things to do if I want a baked good without much fuss.
Plus, no cake decorating required. The colorful berries does all the aesthetics.
This recipe is from a cake type of cobbler from The Pioneer Woman, where she uses blackberries as the main character. Blackberry Cobbler.
But because I have a huge bag of frozen berries standing by, I thought “why not bring all the gang to the party?” And I always love how colorful it turns out.
Easy Berry Cake: Tips and Pointers
- You can use either fresh or frozen berries here. I used a mix of frozen raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.
- If the berries are too tart, you can sprinkle a little bit more than the recommended sugar in the recipe. It calls for 1/8 cup, so try adding a teaspoon or two just before baking.
- Or if you want, you can sprinkle more sugar right after baking. You can’t just sprinkle too much before you bake as the cake top can burn quickly from too much sugar.
The cake, once baked, will have these cracks and crevices from the weight of the berries. It may not be the prettiest in sight, but it will be a humble, delicious cake that will surprise you.
For breakfast, or as a snack, I don’t get tired of it. If you want it to be more indulgent, top it with whipped cream. It is a little slice of heaven, every time.
More Easy Baking:
- Blueberry Muffins
- Cornbread Muffins
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Oatmeal Crumbs
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Loaf Bread
- Salted Caramel Scones
- Honey Scones with Sweet Calamansi Glaze
- Lemon Loaf Cake
- Easy Berry Tart
Easy Berry Cake
This simple and easy to make Berry Cake is buttery, oh-so-delicate and loaded with all the bright flavors of the berries. Plus it is easy to make!
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 and 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups combined berries
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and 1 cup sugar. Whisk in milk and stir well. Pour in the melted butter. Stir everything together.
Pour batter in the prepared pie dish. Sprinkle the berries on top. Sprinkle 1/8 cup of sugar all over the berries. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cake has some cracks and crevices from the weight of the berries.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman's Blackberry Cobbler.