Keep cozy this Fall season with this easy and simple Apple Streusel Coffee Cake. This treat combines tender crisp apples, slivered almonds, and buttery crumb toppings in a perfect, easy to bake dessert.
One thing I am always eager about this Fall is the baking. This week I had this apple streusel coffee cake in the oven and the smell of the apples and butter baking together just reminded me of what I love about the season aside from the colorful falling leaves and the red and orange shade of the trees outside.
While there are days in the summer when I would not dare turn on the oven because of extremely hot weather, during Fall, it is definitely okay to bake every day. Not only it warms the house, but it also imparts that cozy, delicious aroma of baked goods.
So if you are one who enjoys the season by baking inside in cozy sweaters and a hot mug, make this Apple Streusel Coffee Cake happen. The smell is amazing and it is such a delicious apple treat.
I especially love the crunch from the almonds and the buttery crumb toppings that complement the tender texture of the apples.
The bright flavor of the fruit, the nutty note of the almonds and the texture of the crumbs make every slice of this cake a delight to eat.
Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
This cake has three elements, namely:
- The Cake Base
- The Apple and Almonds Layer
- The Crumb/ Streusel Topping
To make the base, you simply combine melted butter, flour, sugar, eggs and baking powder until they are thoroughly combined. Press this batter into a greased 7-inch square pan.
Then you assemble the apple slices in three rows, sprinkle the cinnamon, then top that with the sliced almonds.
Lastly, prepare the streusel by combining melted butter, flour, and sugar until they resemble breadcrumbs. Sprinkle this evenly over the entire surface and bake apple streusel at 350 F for 60-70 minutes, or until lightly golden.
So yes, even if the cold air has started to embrace our days, and as much as I’d like for the warm wind and late night sunset to stay, there is no stopping the cold season. It is always around this month that I dig our closet for thicker sweaters, and open boxes to bring out boots, mitts, and scarves.
But then it is also this time where I can bake all Fall recipes. Hello pumpkin, apples, sweet potatoes! I just totally enjoy this time of the year.
So today, cozy up with me, whip up this Apple Streusel coffee cake, grab a book and your warm blanket and enjoy a slice (or two!).
Here are more treats for you to bake this Fall:
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Scones with Honey Glaze
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls with Coffee Icing
- Best Ever Chocolate Brownies
- Cornbread Muffins
- Bakewell Tart
- Apple Tart
- Caramelized Apple Tarts
- Peach Tart
Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
For the Cake Base
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For the Apple and Almond Layer
- 2 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
For the Streusel
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup and 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 7-inch square cake pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the base in a large mixing bowl. Incorporate well. Spoon batter into the greased baking pan and press it down using a spoon until all the batter is evenly distributed across the surface.
- Arrange the apple slices over the dough in three rows, with the apples slightly overlapping. Sprinkle the cinnamon and nutmeg then top with the slivered almonds.
- To make the streusel, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle streusel on top of the cake and bake for 1 hour or more, until lightly golden.
Post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page to learn more.